Individual and Family Information
This page can help you navigate the sometimes complex system of services for individuals with developmental disabilities. We are ready to help you, so if you need assistance feel free to contact us at BHDDH.AskDD@bhddh.ri.gov.How to get started
- Find out whether you might be eligible to receive adult developmental services.
- Apply for services. We strongly encourage students to apply for eligibility well in advance of leaving high school.
Once you apply and are determined eligible for services, you will be contacted by staff at the division and will then need to complete an assessment called the Supports Intensity Scale (SIS) to better understand your service needs. In addition, you will be assigned a social case worker who will contact you to discuss the services available to you.For additional information
- Learn more about self-directed services in Rhode Island, and if interested, contact your social caseworker.
- Learn about the federal consent decree in Rhode Island.
- Find local agencies licensed to provide developmental disability services.
- See all of our application forms and guides to help you fill them out.
- Learn about Rhode Island's "Employment First" policy.
- Get involved. Participate in self-advocacy and family forums to learn about the many paths to employment and community participation.
- Discover additional information and resources related to developmental disabilities.